15 Jun Dr. Sheldon’s Recipes – Niçoise Salad
Posted at 20:37h in Recipes
Niçoise Salad – serves 6
- 1.5 lbs cooked thick fish fillet or steak (ex: halibut, tuna, salmon, or steelhead trout)
- 1-1.5 lbs yukon gold potatoes, cut into quarters.
- 1 lb haricot verts or green beans, trimmed and cut
- 3-6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved.
- 3/4 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Niçoise olives
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- fresh thyme leaves
- 2-3 TBSP champagne vinegar
- 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
- olive oil, divided
- salt/freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss the potatoes with 1-2 TBSP olive oil, salt, pepper & thyme leaves. Put in roasting pan, cover with foil & roast 40-60 min. until tender when pierced with a fork. Allow to cool to room temperature, then chop potatoes into roughly bite sized pieces (each quarter into about 3 pieces).
- Boil the haricot verts for 2-3 min until blanched, but still a little crunchy (slightly longer if using regular green beans). Immediately transfer hot beans to ice water to stop the cooking, then drain and leave at room temperature.
- Heat 1-2 TBSP olive oil in a shallow pan and add the sliced shallots and some more thyme leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the shallots are softened – 2-3 minutes. Then add the green beans, season again if needed and cook another 1-2 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the mustard and vinegar in a small bowl and whisk together. Add 1/2-1 tsp of salt and freshly ground pepper. Slowly add 1/8 -1/4 cup olive oil and whisk until all combined and emulsified.
- Mix the lettuce, olives & cherry tomatoes together in a bowl (or on the platter you will use.) Drizzle with 2-3 TBSP of vinaigrette over the salad & mix well.
- Assemble the salad:
- Arrange the greens with the tomatoes and olives in a ring on a large oval or round platter, leaving a space for the fish.
- Place the cooked fish in the center.
- Layer the green bean/shallot mixture on top of the lettuce on one edge of the platter, the potatoes on the other end.
- Place the hard boiled eggs on either end or interspersed around the ring.
- Drizzle dressing over the whole salad to taste.