15 Jun Dr. Sheldon’s Recipes – Turkey and Zucchini Burgers
These turkey burgers are the best you’ll ever eat. I serve them on the those whole-grain sandwich thins rather than a burger bun. Also, you can skip the sour cream sauce, but as you can see in the picture, just 1-2 TBSP is all you need, so it’s not a lot of calories, especially if you use low fat sour cream and yoghurt. I also highly recommend adding the pickled onions. Trust me, you will not miss beef burgers after this!
Turkey and Zucchini Burgers
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Adapted from the Jerusalem Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamini
- 1-1.5 lb ground turkey
- 1 large zucchini, coarsely grated (scant 2 cups)
- 1-3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 – 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1-2 TBSP Canola
Sour cream and Sumac Sauce
- scant ½ cup sour cream
- scant ⅔ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1½ tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Combine the ingredient for the sour cream sauce in a small bowl. Stir well. Refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the burgers except the oil
- Mix with your hands and then shape into 6-8 patties depending on how large you like and how much ground turkey you used.
- Pour enough oil in a large frying pan* (oven safe if you have it) to form a thin layer at the bottom. Heat over medium heat until hot, then sear the patties in batches on all sides. Cook each batch for about 4-5 minutes, adding oil as needed until golden brown.
- If using the oven-safe frying pan, just put the pan directly in the heated oven & cook for 5-7 minutes, or until cooked through. If you don’t have an oven-safe frying pan or yours is not big enough, transfer the seared patties to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven for 5 to7 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with sauce spooned over on on the side.
- 1 small onion (preferably red), sliced thinly
- 1/2 apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
Combine vinegar, sugar & heat mixture just until sugar is dissolved. Turn off heat, add salt, then onions. Let sit 1-4 hrs at room temperature. Stays good in the refrigerator for about a week.