20 Sep Dr. Sheldon’s Recipes – Mushroom Barley Soup
Posted at 21:36h in Recipes
Healthy, filling and tasty, this soup is perfect for fall. If you omit the ham and use vegetable stock, it’s vegan. Serve with toasted whole grain bread or homemade croutons.
Mushroom Barley Soup
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 2 large or 3 medium onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 oz black forest ham, diced (optional)
- 2 10 oz packages of sliced cremini mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 3/4 cup barley (I used Trader Joe’s 10 min barley)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- several sprigs fresh thyme
- 1-2 TBSP soy sauce
- kosher salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery and ham. Season with 1 tsp of salt and freshly grated pepper. Cook until the vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes.)
- Add the mushrooms and the garlic, another 1/4 tsp of salt, a little more pepper, and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add the Marsala wine, turn the heat up until high and cook until most of the liquid has boiled off, another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the barley, stock and the thyme. Bring to a boil, then turn to medium low and let simmer until the barely is cooked, about 12-15 minutes. (Note: if you use another variety of barley, you may need to cook longer.)
- Discard the thyme stalks. Add the soy sauce and taste for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper if needed.